What Causes Tongue-Tie?
In cases of tongue-tie, an individual’s lingual frenulum remains attached and is either too short or too tight to allow normal tongue movement. The impact of tongue-tie may be anywhere from very mild to severe, which is why it can go unnoticed for months, years, or decades.
Symptoms of tongue-tie include:
- Difficulty latching during breastfeeding, which may also lead to a baby constantly feeling hungry even after being fed
- Speech impediments in childhood, particularly with the following sounds: th, l, s, z, and r.
- Difficulty eating certain foods or playing wind instruments
- Tooth decay and / or gum inflammation due to an inability in using the tongue to sweep across the surface of teeth
- Inability to stick the tongue out of the mouth
- Malformation of the palate and under development of the maxilla and midface
Treatment for Tongue-Tie
However, in cases where treatment is determined to be necessary, the most common procedure to correct the issue is called a frenotomy.
A frenotomy can be performed quickly and easily in a doctor or dentist’s office. During this procedure, a doctor or dentist will simply cut the frenulum free, which is often painless or mildly uncomfortable at most (as there are not many nerves or blood vessels in the frenulum).
In addition, recovery time is almost immediate for this procedure and there is very little risk of complications.
If you suspect that your child may have tongue-tie, call us at 303-423-0930 and schedule an appointment online at our office in Arvada, CO. today. Our award-winning dental professionals are experienced in providing tongue-tie care. We strive to provide excellent care for residents in and around Arvada, CO, including the nearby communities of Wheat Ridge, Golden, Broomfield, Lakewood, and Westminster.
Why choose Signature Dentistry of Arvada for Smile Transformation?
Our Signature On Every Smile
Arvada, CO 80007
Fri: 7:30am - 2pm
Sat - Sun: Closed